Goblins at the Gates Goblins at the Gates

I wanted to like this game, but in the end I just couldn't.

Reasons why I like it:
1. The graphics were very nicely done and I liked the individual traits for each monster.
2. Even though it was tough at the beginning, I liked the difficulty factor.
3. I enjoyed killing multiple creatures in a row, because their death cries were fun to hear.
4. Game mechanics were smooth and it was a fun time-waster.

Reasons why I didn't:
1. It took forever to get an upgrade and the game is dreadfully repetitive.
2. The excessive clicking became annoying after a while.
3. The death cries became an irritant and wand's noise was too loud.
4. I spent a lot of time playing the game and when I got to Level 29, I became enraged. The level is obviously rigged to fail so that the player will spend money on the premiums. I have no intention of doing that and I feel that it's something few of the people playing the game on Newgrounds would actually do. If Level 29 wasn't so blatantly a cheat, I would have given the game a pass, but after I spent that much time playing this asinine game I wanted some closure. Now I just feel that I wasted my time on this.

On the bright side, I had a wonderful finger exercise.

Frederik77 responds:

Thanks for your list of pros and cons, not everybody will go into such detail in a review, but we do appreciate it. And if you've cooled down from your rage quit, we can only hope you will try the re-balanced version of the game.

Gravity Duck 2 Gravity Duck 2

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed the first Gravity Duck. Therefore, it gives me great pleasure to find that you've made a sequel! It's quite similar to the first one, but the different background and enemies make this captivating nonetheless. The music was quite enjoyable as well. The gameplay itself is very inventive, being simultaneously fun and challenging. I look forward to your next game.

Animal Puncher Animal Puncher

Violence and Inevitability

In response to all the negative reviews and criticism being given to this game, I think I should say something in its defense. I do not normally give reviews, but the blatant misunderstanding of this game's meaning makes me feel that some people just don't understand this game. This is an art game. The creator, AustinBreed even puts the classification of his games on his profile. I've played A Mother in Festerwood, and even though it has an average score, it's an extraordinarily beautiful game. AustinBreed is a prolific flash artist and this game is not the work of a disturbed individual. Rather, this is created by someone who wants to get a message across and I believe that he does this brilliantly. Animal Puncher is designed to make you think and I believe few people are thinking of the game's meaning the way the creator wanted it to be thought.

People are quick to expound this as promoting animal cruelty and the progression of a serial killer. I believe that that belief is wrong. The player controls an unidentified teenager whose friend is the disturbed one. The player is just a bystander who is forced by peer pressure to kill the animals. The point of this game isn't to kill animals or promote violence; it does something deeper than that. It explores the depths which humanity can descend into. The animal puncher, as I shall call him, is plagued by dreams of watching his mother die trapped in a car. The dream segment puts the helplessness and inability to save his mother right into the player's perspective; no matter how much you bash the keys, you are forced to watch his mother slowly die. The inevitability is present right from the start and this is has a very profound effect on my understanding of the game.

The player is not entirely innocent as well. At the beginning of the game, the player is asked to contribute to the animal's demise and in doing so, injures it more grievously than the animal puncher himself. For those who played this game all the way through the violent ending and condemned it, there is a bit of a hypocrite in that person. Anytime throughout the game, that person could have stopped, but in most cases, continued. Those who realize this after the game's end must know that they are no less free of guilt than the animal puncher himself. In a way, the animal puncher's anonymous friend; the player, symbolizes the animal puncher himself: he is helpless to the proceedings of the events that follow the initiation into the violence. I doubt that anyone who was far into the game would have stopped. We have all become desensitized to violence.

In shooter games, we are glad to take the life of another without thinking about the history of the people themselves, what a childhood they must have had and the events culminating to their death. We are caught up in the frenzy of violence that sweeps over us like a drug and all we care about is the bottom line; the medals and achievements and tasks accomplished. If the animals were substituted for human beings in this game, there would hardly be any outburst. Animals jar us from the mindless killing and force us to think about the victims themselves, instead of just achieving a goal. The animals are innocent, they have done no wrong and do not deserve such a gruesome death. They are even drawn cute in the game to entice a shocked reaction from us. The people who protest that this game is violence toward animals are rightly justified. It is, but they often overlook the violence toward sentient, human beings in first person shooters. It is oftentimes mindless fun and violence. This game is controversial precisely because it is the end of our fantasies and the waking up to a nightmare.

This game is not mindless violence. I felt an intense sadness while playing this game. The whole atmosphere was wrong and it wasn't the animal cruelty. Once you overlook the animals, this game says something about us. It is disturbing because it forces us to think about things we would rather not think about. It is always easy to be mindless drones. Thinking is very hard.

Zombotron Zombotron

Pretty Fun, Actually

This is one of my favourite zombie-shooters. The reason for that being is because the game is realistic. Not in the zombie/bio-robot/homicidal robots/moving skeletons way, but in the physics way. While most other games of the genre let you reload your gun with no thought behind where the extra ammunition comes from, you actually have to manually pick up, see, and then hear the firearm being reloaded. Pretty much everything in the game is destroyable (elevators including). One thing I would have liked to see was a way for the aiming to be a bit more accurate. There's no telling how many bullets I've wasted due to that. The other thing I found a little frustrating was how low the bio-robot could jump. But since it's a robot, I understand (it's realistic, after all). I especially liked the self-destruct feature. Zombotron has a very compact feeling. Each level is meticulously designed and while there are only ten levels, each level is very large and provides hours of exploration (as a whole). This is a very well-constructed game (I've played AntKarlov's Mining Truck 2 and I've seen the barrels in that game that were used in Zombotron). An excellent game.

I look forward to your future releases.

Dude and Zombies Dude and Zombies

Superb Game, But Gets Too Hard

This is a wonderful zombie-killing game. Out of all the other zombie-shooter games I've played, this one is among my favorites. What I really like was that you could upgrade and customize nearly EVERYTHING. The premise is a very good idea as well. Having to collect auto parts as well as kill zombies definitely increased the difficulty. Because the zombies damaged your truck, it sometimes got extremely frustrating. I only got through by listening to The Killers and Robyn. But then, that shows the quality and stickiness of the game.

I died too many times too count (and I'm probably not that great a gamer) and the only thing that saved me was a glitch on Level 17 (or maybe 18; I'm not sure) that froze all the zombies. When ever I moved Dude, the frozen zombies moved with him (I know, creepy, right?). I was able to shoot at the zombies and see their flesh disappear (a detail I wouldn't have noticed if not for the glitch). I was able to finish building the car in dead silence, except for when I was firing my AK-47. The game screen was strange for sure.

FunCrow put a lot of detail into this game (and I appreciate that). I especially liked the way the character looked (loved the trees). Dude is cute. Even the zombies are cute (in a horrific flesh-dropping way, I suppose). This game is hard. The firearms are too weak or too slow in reloading in the beginning to make any real progress in building the truck. I would like to finish the game without the glitch, but it just frustrates me too much.

Every Newgrounds user can only comment/review once on a flash (I'm used to the multiple commenting on YouTube), so I have to say everything I need to say in one post. This is a pretty good game, fluid action and great graphics and all. Hope you make more games like this. I'm glad I gave this a 4 when it was still Under Judgement.

Have a nice day, night, midday, or midnight to anyone who reads this.

Sieger: Level Pack Sieger: Level Pack

Crush the Castle minus the Trebuchet

I enjoyed playing Crush the Castle (one of the first games I played on Newgrounds), but I was always frustrated by how I couldn't aim precisely, often not getting the medals. Sieger lets you pick exactly where to aim and it's very enjoyable (I received all Gold Medals on all the levels). I like how you substituted the difficulties of aiming with the objective to save people. Also, something others may not have noticed: as I was typing this, I was listening to the music in the Main Menu and it's very good. Fun game overall, and creative castle arrangements (the level Snowboarding). Hope you create another Sieger.

Super Puzzle Platformer Super Puzzle Platformer

Fun Destroying Blocks

I really like the compact design of this game. The idea of destroying blocks by colour isn't really a new concept, but this is is pretty neat. It's almost as if you're warped into the game and you shoot the blocks yourself instead of clicking on them. It's a bit addicting and a little like Tetris. The orange block terminator is really cute. The amount of lives you get isn't really clear though, but it's really enjoyable despite that. I like how you made it playable for the colour blind. It's was thoughtful of you (whether it was on purpose or not). Really nice game overall.

* I'm LOG.

Warp Game Warp Game

Interesting Concept

When I first started the game, I thought it would be like a normal platformer. It was surprising to find that you can warp around the edges of the game screen. That was what made it so interesting. At times it was like a puzzle and finishing the level gave a certain level of satisfaction. As with most flash games, it's not perfect, but it was fun enough. Level 28 was really hard though. I couldn't count how many times I died. Otherwise, great game. You should come up with more levels, maybe Warp Game 2? I'd definitely play it.

Papa's Taco Mia! Papa's Taco Mia!

Almost as Fun as Killing a Chicken

Having played this game to Day 48, the only thing I find annoying is the amount of time it takes to jot down a customer's order and the grade and tips when you finally serve it. Maybe it's helpful for people who need to look at the ingredients, but when you just want to do things fast, it slows things down too much. When the timer is ringing while I wait for them to finish their evaluations, it annoys me so much that I have to mute the game to not hear the incessant racket. Other than that, it's fun to cook and build tacos without the stress and pressures of dealing with real customers.

Drake And The Wizards Drake And The Wizards

Frustating and Exhausting

After getting to Eldrim Woods 4, I was getting REALLY frustrated. This game has the stiffest controls ever and navigating the big bulbous dragon-kid was a pain in the arse. The flying sound got stuck and I kept hearing that annoying swooshing sound over and over again. My other beef with this game are the checkpoints. Every time I lose all my lives, the checkpoint takes me way back and I have to go through everything again. The flying is awful. The controls are slow. The only thing I liked was that you tried to make this a kid-friendly game. But with the horrid controls, kids will have a hard time concentrating on playing. Remember that games have to have good controls to make it enjoyable.

Note: Yeah, I know that I should stop playing this game, but it's SO frustrating that it makes me want to finish it. Please make a more enjoyable game next time, lartar.

lartar responds:

Hi, im really sorry that you have so many issues with the game, we will take a look on this problems and we promise that for our next ttle will have a fixed engine without those issues. =)